Vacuuming by the CRI Carpet & Rug Institute.
Proper vacuuming is the easiest and most effective way to keep your carpet clean. It may come as a surprise that something as simple as regular vacuuming can also have the largest impact on the air you breathe.
Removing loose soil while it remains on the carpet surface prevents dirt from being ground into the carpet pile and can help preserve the cushiness of your carpet. Keep in mind green cleaning starts with vacuuming.
How to vacuum
On carpet, use slow, repetitive front-to-back motions in an overlapping sequence. A quick once over doesn’t do much. On the other hand, don’t press down or make too many passes over the same spot. Instead, move slightly to the left or right about every four strokes.
To get the most out of your vacuuming regime, remember these few easy tips:
- When vacuuming, don’t ignore those corners and crevices where dust builds.
- “Top-down” cleaning saves you the step of vacuuming again after dusting. Dust blinds, windowsills, and furniture surfaces first and then vacuum away any fallen dust.
- Remember to remove and replace or empty vacuum bags when they are half to two-thirds full.
Setting the right vacuuming frequency
As a rule of thumb, you should vacuum at least once a week with a CRI Seal of Approval/Green Label vacuum cleaner. However, the more foot traffic over your carpet, the more you need to vacuum.
The general formula is:
- Vacuum daily in high-traffic or pet areas.
- Vacuum twice weekly in medium-traffic areas.
- Vacuum weekly in light-traffic areas, using attachments at carpet edges.
If you follow these vacuuming frequency guidelines and with a professional carpet cleaning once a year, you can prolong the useful life of your carpet.
Call Top Steamer to schedule your carpet cleaning appointment today 305-631-5757 visit our website for more information about our carpet cleaning services www.topsteamer.com